Saturday, July 14, 2012

Recipe for Silence: a Driving Conversation

So, while driving 3 hours to a family reunion, two of my boys were arguing about this or that and pushing me to the brink of disaster.  Literally, I came this close to driving the van, lemming style, off the edge of a cliff just to shut everybody up.  Good thing there was a shortage of cliffs across the barren Idaho wasteland.  Okay, on with the story.  I was about to go nuts when I saw they had both brought thier portable electronic gaming machines.  The following is the real conversation that took place:

Me: Boys! Boys!! Boys!!! Why don't you grab your games and start from the begining and race to see who can make it to the end of the game first. (I know that this is poor parenting, but my options were rapidly diminishing)

Boys (In unision):  Yes! (Grab game systems and start playing)

   *Five minutes of blessed silence*

Dacoda (Not looking up from the game, speaking excitedly): Dad, what do we get  if we win the contest?

Me (Shocked by the noise after my brilliant plan was working):  I don't know.  Nothing.  I guess Bragging rights!

Dacoda (Without a pause, litterally without missing a beat): Okay! How many bragging rights?

Me (Wanting nothing more than the silence to come back): 11 Dacoda! 11 bragging rights!

Dacoda: Awsome! (Coda bows head and begins playing even more furiously than before)

     *Five more minutes of silence*

Ayden (Throwing down the game): This is a dumb contest!  I QUIT!

Dacoda (Without even looking up from the game): Don't worry ayden, I will beat the game and I'll share my bragging rights with you! (Keeps playing quietly and diligently for next two hours.)

It is now 10:30 at night and he is patiently waiting downstairs at this moment for me to deliver the promised bragging rights.  I think I will just wait...maybe he will just fall asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment