Saturday, July 7, 2012

Less is More

While I am not one to focus on the myriad differences between men and women, I would like to mention one slight thing that was once again brought to my attention today.  It is the fact that men can use very few words to communicate with women, and in spite of the few words spoken, the women hear paragraphs and full conversations...and most likely their version and understanding of the conversations they "hear" are almost always far different than the intended meaning of a few words spoken by the man in some barely intelligible half mumbled sentence.  For example, when a man responds to a request to complete some little chore with the sentence "Later", what he is really saying is "I think what you are asking is stupid and I am currently very comfortable doing nothing.  I hope if I put it off long enough, you will become so exasperated with my inability to act that you would complete the task yourself without sacrificing future "alone" time as a result of my failure to perform said task."  I think that is perfectly clear and should be understood by all parties present.  However; in spite of the perfect clarity, the convoluted message that the woman hears is "Sweetheart, I am busy right now but I will do what you asked me to do later."  See...they put so much of the wrong meaning in so few words.  Imagine what they heard in a sentence as simple as "I do"....

1 comment: